After finishing the two day instructor training course, you will complete three short tasks in order to become a certified Carpentry instructor. Detailed information about these tasks can be found on the instructor training website. Please use the checklist below as a quick reference, but be sure to read the detailed instructions first.
Please note that in the past, instructors needed to certify separately for Data and Software Carpentry. As of March 2017 that is no longer the case. Instructors who have already certified for either Data or Software Carpentry are now considered Carpentry instructors and can teach either set of curricula.
Tasks are listed in the order most of our instructor trainees complete the checkout process, but you can complete them in any order.
Submit a Lesson Contribution
- Choose one of our lessons to read in detail.
- Read the lesson carefully and work through the examples and exercises.
- On the lesson’s GitHub repository (linked from the lessons page), look at existing issues and pull requests.
- Choose an existing issue or pull request to make a substantive comment on or identify a new issue or potential improvement.
- Submit your comment or issue on GitHub or by email.
- If you make your contribution through GitHub, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with a link to your contribution.
Participate in an Online Discussion Session
- Sign up for a discussion session on this Etherpad.
- Prepare to ask questions about lessons, workshop logistics, or anything you would like to know about teaching with the Carpentries.
- Attend your selected session and actively participate in the discussion.
Teach a Short Demonstration Lesson
- Sign up for a teaching demonstration session on this Etherpad.
- Ensure you have BlueJeans installed and that it is working properly.
- Be prepared to teach any 5-minute section of your selected lesson module from the our curriculum.
- Attend your selected session and actively participate in giving feedback to other instructors.
After you complete your lesson contribution, online discussion and teaching demonstration, we will send you information about how to add yourself to our teaching roster and how to be contacted to teach workshops. We are excited to have you on the team and look forward to teaching with you!
If you have any questions about the checkout process, please contact us at email@example.com.