Information on host responsibilities for centrally-organized workshops.
For centrally-organized workshops, hosts are reponsible for all local workshop logistics. The Data Carpentry workshop coordinator supports workshop hosts by taking care of all non-local workshop logistics. For more details on the workshop coordinator’s role, see the administrative checklist.
If your workshop is self-organized, the host is responsible for all logistics. See the self-organized host/lead-instructor checklist for hosting responsibilities for self-organized workshops.
- Decide on the curriculum that would best serve your learners
- Fill out the workshop request form
- Work with the Data Carpentry workshop coordinator to set the time and location for your workshop
- Book your venue
- Ensure your venue is accessible
- Recruit helpers (at least 1 per 12 participants)
- Advertise your workshop
- Make arrangements to pay the workshop fee and instructor travel expenses
- Make sure instructors know how to submit their travel reimursement forms
- Get emergency contact information for instructors and helpers in case of last-minute changes
- Gather required materials
- Arrange for coffee and snacks if desired (learners do appreciate this!)
- Collect workshop attendance sheet and photo release forms (if needed)
- Send information on workshop attendance and any feedback you have to the Data Carpentry workshop coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org)